Darjeeling tea occupies a place of pride for India and it is globally acclaimed as “The Champagne of Teas”. The aroma and taste of Darjeeling Tea are unparalleled in the world. There are a total of 87 tea estates in the hills that have been accorded the right to label its produce “Darjeeling Tea” by the Tea Board of India. These estates cover over 17,500 hectares of land, produce over 9 million kg of tea per year and engage about 50 percent the people of Darjeeling district. Tea from Darjeeling has been savoured by connoisseurs all over the world.
So what’s so special about Darjeeling Tea and why is it so highly prized?
It is the only region in India that has over 40% Old China bush (Chesima) concentration, and the rest 60% has cloned AV 2 ( Ambari Vegetative) bushes. The region is blessed with the cool weather, fresh Himalayan mountain air, rivulets, streams, moss and vegetation that is distinctively different from each estate. The tea produced from each estate has its own delectable flavour and aroma. Sipping Darjeeling Tea is comparable to sipping wine, each lot has a different taste.
What does it taste like?
It is exotic and mysterious like the hills. The nuance of difference is what marks Darjeeling Tea – from delicate vegetal, mossy, fruity, and citrus flavours to its prized muscatel which has -sweet tasting notes are similar to Muscat wine. The unique flavour of Darjeeling comes from its bushes and its intricate harvesting and processing. It's lighter and less astringent than most black tea, but more layered and complex than most greens. The region produces some of the finest White, Black, Oolong, Green and speciality teas.
If you buy Darjeeling tea from a particular estate, the tea will taste different depending on when it's harvested. Darjeeling has three flushes that span the tea growing season. The highly prized first flush is where you can find some really interesting, delicate flavours. The second flush from the more mature plant is where the Muscatel flavours come out. The third flush (Autumn Flush) produce a very dark leaf that steeps up a full-bodied and naturally fruity flavoured tea
True Darjeeling Tea possesses a flavour and quality, which sets it apart from other teas. As a result, it has etched out a continued patronage of discerning consumers worldwide for more than a century.
Teacupsfull brings the best Darjeeling tea from select estates for connoisseurs worldwide. The teas are selected by our Tea Masters who have worked in the prized estates of Darjeeling like Thurbo, Badamtam, Ging, Runglee Rungliot, Baresberg, Marybong and other Goodricke Group owned tea estates.